On the Loose in Spain!

Leave a Comment
Hola, Que Tal?

As you can tell by the lack of accents I am writing this from outside Spain.

I am by now in Sienna. Sometimes on the road the schedule gets a little hectic and it is hard to find an internet connection. So here's some catch-up.

I'M ON MY OWN!

Our CIA group got to Madrid's Barajas Airport at around 2:30pm. I left the group and dodged my way through the crowd, asking for directions in broken Spanish, until I found the "left luggage" department. They have lockers there, in which after some confusion, I managed to leave all the extra accumulated stuff(ie bottles of wine, olive oil, Serrano ham, extra clothes the CIA trip required) in a long term locker until I get back.

I took several different subway trains to the Atocha train station for my trip to Seville. My new, lighter luggage was a real God-send while trying to negotiate all this I can tell you.

After taking the AVE (ah-bay) high speed train to Seville, I picked up my incredibly ugly rental car which I dubbed "El Feo" or the ugly one.
I drove through the Andulucian countryside as the sun started to go down, and finally reached the beautiful, white-washed hill town of Arcos de la Frontera.

This little town was way up on a high hill top with a sweeping view of the valley floor below. As its name implies it was part of a string of fortified towns along the border which kept the Moors( arab invaders from Africa) from sweeping further north and conquering the rest of Spain.

I drove up the unbelievably narrow streets (with literally 3 or 4" on either side of my little car at some points) and finally found a hill-top parking lot. I managed to squeeze in a spot and went to my hotel.

The first night I stayed in a smaller, less expensive hotel. The staff were friendly and the room adequate. I struck up a friendship with the waiter/batender named Manuelo. Quite the personality. He tried out his fledgling English on me and I struggled along gamely in Spanish.

I wandered down the hill and found a little, local restaurant still open. Noisy
locals, their kids running around ducking beneath tables and rowdy grown-ups even at this late hour, were enjoying the night. I managed to find a seat at the end of the little bar. I wondered if that was a little unusual for a woman in Spain to be at the bar but had no choice as the place was full. A rather surly bartender took my food and drink order and I watched the local men chat-up two young women sitting at a table. Quite alot of flirting going on.

The next day I checked into my splurge hotel- the Parador in Arcos. Paradors are historic inns regulated by the government. While I waited for my room to be ready I went out to the broad, flagstone patio to enjoy the panoramic view. There I met a group of Brits who apparently lived in southern Spain part of the year. I got a coke and a lively conversation ensued. I absorbed all the advice and information I could.
This is one thing I have noticed is that I meet a lot of English-speakers and that really helps stave off loneliness.

The room at the Parador was fantastic. Strong hot shower. Fluffy pillow. Great air-conditioning. Ahhhhhh....

I spent the afternoon wandering around the backstreets of Arcos. Not alot of tourists. A little outdoor cafe or pastry shop around each bend. Fantastic.
I stopped to buy a pen and ink drawing by a local artist. I met an American family from Oregon who insisted on buying my beer. They gave me wonderful tips on Florence as they had just come from a week in tuscany.

I capped of my wonderful day with a dinner at the Parador dining room with a view of the valley. They bring you Manzanilla sherry and tapas. I had some Cava and a light salad with white beans and artichokes. Quite good.

Arcos was a wonderful choice. Unfortunately, as I was leaving town, inching s-l-o-w-l-y around corners on my way down hill, two local people impatiently tail-gating El Feo, I bumped a corner. Apparently this happens all the time. They have these ancient Roman post built into the corners because people are always bumping into buildings. I was pretty upset though.

Because of this accident, which made a 5 " dent in the back passenger door I decided to spend the morning looking for a repair shop to fix the dent. I was hoping it would be an easy fix. Apparently not. When I finally found an open repair place, after three tries, they said it would take at least two days for parts to arrive.
Oh well. By this time I decided to just go back to Seville, instead of going down to Gibraltar as I had planned, and turn in the car.

I ended up having to pay for the accident up front, in cash. I had thought they would go through my insurance but no. I called my wonderful parents and my mother came to the rescue, transfering some extra money into my bank account.

By the time I got back to Madrid that night, after having a loud argument(in Spanish) with a cab driver over the fare he had agreed on and then changed, I finally stumbled into my bed. Travel doesn't alwasy go the way you want it to.
Que sera, sera.

I flew out early the next morning to Venice.
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments: