Amalfi Time

Leave a Comment
Obviously I am writing this after returning home...I have actually been home for over a month.  Finally I have the opportunity to finish the blog for this trip.

The last part of my 2010 journey was 3 days in the Amalfi Coast region of southern Italy.  Dramatic cliffs and sparkling blue Mediterranean waters line the curving roadway that connects cities like Sorrento to small towns like Positano in an area which has long been the vacation grounds of Roman Emperors and movie stars. Of course I was neither Emperor nor movie star but I worked hard to relax at the end of my trip.

I took the train from Rome to Sorrento, the main city of the coast. From there I had to take a crowded, sweltering bus along the hairpin turns of the cliff top highway.  I was lucky to even get a seat in the cramped last row of the tourist bus; many people ended up standing in the aisles for the whole 1.5 hours, holding on for dear life as our bus driver barreled past cars and panel trucks leaning on his horn the whole time.  The only air circulating in the bus came from a tiny window in the back just above my head.  It was stiffling and I battled nausea the whole time, arriving in the seaside square in Amalfi with rubbery legs and sweaty face. When you visit this area do NOT take the bus if at all possible.

After dragging my luggage up a dangerous roadway to my hotel
my day began to improve.  The Hotel Miramalfi is carved into
the side of the cliffs, with beautifully appointed rooms, each with its own balcony overlooking the sea.  It was wonderful.

After a shower I treated myself to a cold Peroni from the
mini-bar while I watched the sun set over Amalfi town.
Positano, Italy
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments: